I completely agree. But... (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 07, 2020, 10:17 (1207 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So first of all, I should say that I think there’s some “lost in translation” going on here. Cheapley is genuinely one of the nicest dudes I’ve played with. At the risk of putting words in his mouth, I certainly took his statement with the tone of a guy who is chatting amongst friends, and not as intentionally critical or dismissive. Could just be me, but I don’t get ruffled by the “brain dead” comments and stuff like that because I think those are the kind of mistakes that almost all Destiny players make from time to time. Heck, I do it way more than just about anyone (with the possible exception of Korny). This is a tangent, but I had a moment way back in Halo 2 when I was playing a 1-flag game where the flag is in the ruins of an old base, and there’s a window right in the front that you can jump through to land on the flag (was it called Boneyard?). My entire team was leaping in through that window and dying instantly, and sure enough I jumped in and was gunned down right away. One of the guys I was playing with said “why the hell did you do that? You just watched 3 of our teammates all jump in and die, so why the hell would you do it too?” I was struck by how obviously correct he was, and yet my instincts in the heat of the moment we’re screaming “GO GO GO”. I think of that often because all these years later, I still do it constantly, lol.

His reply has explained it. But I do want to point out that we were talking about technical aspects and strategy, not in the heat moments or chatting with friends. For him to reply to my experiences of the difficulty and strategy of using shoulder charge with a statement that quite frankly states to me that I shouldn't feel that way because shoulder charge shouldn't take any skill to use is both dismissive of my experience as well as very elitist. That's how I took it in context. I now know he didn't mean it that way, but this is just more of a warning when talking about things :)

That said, to address your point; again, I do think there is some truth to what you’re saying. Shoulder charge involves getting right up close to the enemy, and as such there’s a certain amount of risk involved. Certainly more risk than many other abilities in D2.

I mean, we are using high risk in the context of all other regular abilities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is one of if not the highest risk ability to use because you can't do anything but run in roughly a straight line.

Maybe I should just be saying "highest" risk?

But to push back a little, I actually do agree with Cheapley’s point that none of the abilities in D2 are particularly high risk. Between the often claustrophobic maps and the levels of mobility our guardians have and the general chaos that often goes on in a crucible match, closing the gap and getting up close to the enemy is often quite doable. I mean, look at this:

Granted, I’m using an exotic that instantly refills my melee charge, but still... thats a lot of kills XD

I guess I will push back and say that only one of those enemies was even looking at you let alone doing anything. In those cases, of course there wasn't any risk. There wasn't really any risk in doing anything to the enemies.

I mean, again to counter argue the point that Shoulder charge take a very base level of awareness. That goes for the enemy as well. It takes at least a base level of awareness from them as well.

Again, to your point, there are certain maps where that kind of play style is far less likely to work, but not many IMO.

And I do agree there are much better situations for shoulder charging. Especially in close quarter maps. But again I would say that those are also the maps that people are wrecking with shotguns :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread