I completely agree. But... (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, December 07, 2020, 12:21 (1207 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think we just fundamentally look at it differently. It’s not high risk because if there’s a good chance they’re going to kill you before you close the gap, you shouldn’t use it. It’s a tactically unsound decision. You should disengage and reposition, or use a different ability or weapon.

It’s like saying a sniper is high risk in a ten foot long hallway because the zoom is too long. Sure, in that situation it’s high risk, but it’s also just the wrong time to use a sniper rifle. That doesn’t really make snipers high risk, it just means it’s being used inappropriately.

It's high risk because you are disabled, as a fighter, while (and for a short time after) using it. You can do everything right; pick an oblivious target, hit them from an unexpected angle, nail your shoulder charge and kill them... and still die because their teammate, who wasn't on your radar when you started the charge, comes around the corner and shoots you before you get control of your character back. Almost no other ability in the game has as long a 'disabled until fully complete' cooldown. I can throw a knife at someone, and be shooting a gun a fraction of a second later. (And yes, killing someone with a knife, then spinning and sidearm-ing their buddy you didn't notice immediately after, is a REALLY good feeling. I'm pretty sure that's the 'the game makes you feel better than you are' feeling you were talking about.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread