I completely agree. But... (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 06, 2020, 07:03 (1230 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Korny and I were talking about something sort of similar last night in regards to weapon perks.

He had the new energy grenade launcher from the Wrathborn Hunts. It has Ambitious Assassin and Auto-loading Holster. If you get a multikill and then swap weapons, auto-loading holster apparently cancels out ambitious assassin, so you’ll only get the single shot instead of the two that the multikill should give you. Like what the fuck? Maybe it’s just me, but that seems like something incredibly obvious to test, and if it doesn’t work, either fucking fix it or don’t allow those perks to roll together. It feels like they out absolutely zero consideration into weapon perks. They made a big list of perks, then just put them in a big old bucket and called it a day. There’s seemingly no thought being which perks can be on which weapon types, it seems like there’s very rarely any synergy between perks in any real way, and when there is it mostly seems accidental.

I have a Trustee with Surplus and Wellspring. They are sort of unremarkable in their own, I think. Surplus boosts handling and stability for each ability that is charged, and Wellspring boosts ability charge rate on kills. That’s a smart combination of perks! And I’m honestly like half sure that it’s even an intentional combination, because of little consideration most perks seem to get.

There’s an absolutely amazing game hidden in the bones of Destiny. It’s like Bungie gets everything to about 75% and just calls it good enough and ships it. And I get it, there are a lot of perks and a lot of combinations to test in the game, but jesus, when did testing stop being a part of making games?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread