Incredibly unlikely (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Monday, July 27, 2015, 00:22 (3196 days ago) @ naturl selexion

There's a rumor that Staten took the story with him when he left Bungie. A story that had been in the works for years. If this is true then that pretty much explains everything story-wise. If he really did retain the rights to the story then Bungie was left with the huge task of recreating a new story in a very short time frame, while not encroaching on Staten's material - that would be tough.

Now, is it true? I don't know but it sounds plausible. On the one hand I hope it is true since that would explain why the Destiny story has not lived up to our expectations. If the rumor is false and this has been the story line all along - well that would be quite disappointing.

It really doesn't sound plausible at all. Unless he had a totally wackadoo contract, Staten wouldn't own the work he created at bungie, Bungie would. It's not like he could spirit it away in the dark of night, as the data is probably copied over multiple servers and backups.

I don't doubt the story changed a lot in the later stages of Destiny's life, destinies dialog and storytelling sounds like a scrambling rush job.

The simplest, and most likely reason for that though, is the original draft was probably even worse, or it didn't work in the context of Destiny as an MMO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread