It is not a tiny ounce (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 02:40 (3195 days ago) @ Avateur

I think your expectations are absolutely unreasonable online when discussing content that is years (or decades) old.

Why?

I think I and someotherguy have showed many examples of how time has nothing to do with spoilers as people find and engage in new stories at all different times and places. And what about new generations of audiences? They don't get a chance at experiencing something new for the first time, surprises intact, like the author intended?

I just started reading Wheel of Time, for example. Does that automatically mean I'm not as cool as the people who read the novels when they first came out and thus random spoilers is what I deserve? Obviously I should put in some work to prevent them - I'm not going to go to any Wheel of Time websites or read Tumblr pages about it. If I see an article on Facebook titled "Comparing Wheel of Time to Game of Thrones", I can just keep scrolling.

But isn't it just slightly reasonable to think someone might be careful to not ruin the books for those like me, out of the blue, and on a Destiny site or something?

Putting an expiration date on a spoiler seems like putting the responsibility on everyone else to me. That's inconsiderate of others, especially when I can come halfway and prevent ruining something for someone with just a little forewarning.

And I don't see what being online has anything to do with it. Ruining shit for people is the same whether it's analog or digital to me.

Obviously if you're on a Halo or Destiny forum, you're announcing you're going to be talking about that subject. Someone can enter if they dare or avoid it like the plague since they know what to expect. I always avoid the B.Org forums on launches until I've completed the new release. But if you're on a B.Org forum and somebody starts talking about how So and So did something in a completely different game or medium, without warning, you're just shit out of luck.

The kind thing to do, I think, is to give some warning that you're going to delve into the details of a different subject. And Cody did give a warning and I appreciate that. The way he formatted it just wasn't very effective.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread