There is one thing I keep meaning to mention (Destiny)

by scarab @, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, 08:16 (3166 days ago) @ Beorn

you probably have to see it in action to appreciate it...

I used to use an offline reader called: Pow wow, wigwam, teepee, Virtual Access (yes, the name changed a lot).

It let you quickly go online, download msgs from: CIX Compuserve, Newsgroups and unheard of, strange, Israeli text based conversation thingies wot I never used or subscribed to.

It quickly went through all the services that you were subscribed to. Sucked all the messages into a database, uploaded all your replies, and then hung up.

You would view your messages in a threaded format and read and reply offline.

This was back in pre-broadband days. You know, modems going chhhhhhhhh urrrrrr !"£$%^& and shit.

anyway...

It had a feature.

In the threaded message list, you could opt for it to display the first, non-comment, sentence of the message as the message title in the thread list. It would be chopped to fit if needed. Actually, I think this was the default behaviour because it was so good.

It worked really well because you see the ebb and flow of the conversation just from reading the msg titles. The threads often got very large (hundreds of messages) but, in a sense, you could read the entire thread just by looking at msg titles. It was easy to keep your place in the thread, you were less likely to get lost in the sea of posts.

I like to change my reply titles so that people can see where the conversation is going and can decide if they want to dip in before they load the message body.

It might help moderators skim the forum looking for aggravation.

Have you seen something like this elsewhere? Does it exist everywhere and I just haven't noticed?

Is there an option already in this forum that I just need to turn on?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread