It is not a tiny ounce (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 03:41 (3194 days ago) @ Leviathan

I think I and someotherguy have showed many examples of how time has nothing to do with spoilers as people find and engage in new stories at all different times and places. And what about new generations of audiences? They don't get a chance at experiencing something new for the first time, surprises intact, like the author intended?

I just started reading Wheel of Time, for example. Does that automatically mean I'm not as cool as the people who read the novels when they first came out and thus random spoilers is what I deserve? Obviously I should put in some work to prevent them - I'm not going to go to any Wheel of Time websites or read Tumblr pages about it. If I see an article on Facebook titled "Comparing Wheel of Time to Game of Thrones", I can just keep scrolling.

But isn't it just slightly reasonable to think someone might be careful to not ruin the books for those like me, out of the blue, and on a Destiny site or something?

Putting an expiration date on a spoiler seems like putting the responsibility on everyone else to me. That's inconsiderate of others, especially when I can come halfway and prevent ruining something for someone with just a little forewarning.

If we're discussing story and the Vex and how they go about using time, and I find relevance in something from The Time Machine, which was written in the 1800s, and start comparing to something involving the Morlocks, it truly is not my problem if you or anyone else here has never read the book or seen the movies. If anything, whatever I reference may just make absolutely zero sense to you due to complete and total lack of context. I mean, what the hell is a Morlock if you haven't read about one or seen one in a movie? For all I know, even mentioning a Morlock just now threw you for a loop, and still would even if I provide whatever comparative example I'm potentially talking about. To think that I should have to pause and wonder if I should hide it or censor it is absurd. And I absolutely wouldn't think twice.

And I don't see what being online has anything to do with it. Ruining shit for people is the same whether it's analog or digital to me.

Online, I don't know who is and isn't around. I have no idea if you just climbed out from under a rock and have never read a single book or seen a single movie in your entire life. Things get referenced and dropped all the time in context and out. Sure, the way Cody did it was absolutely ridiculous, but in general? I don't find your expectations reasonable. In person, if I'm for some reason around a group of school children out on a field trip at a movie theater who are about to see Big Trouble In Little China for the first time in its little anniversary showing on the silver screen (don't ask me why the school children are seeing that particular movie), even though I might be there for nostalgia, I'm not going to open my mouth and be like, "OH MAN YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THIS ONE SCENE WHERE THIS THING HAPPENS! IT'S SO AWESOME!" Online, that scene where the thing happens may hold relevancy to whatever the conversation is, and I'm absolutely going to mention it without wondering if you've seen that movie or not. It's just not happening. It's been out way too long, and I'm not going to go around assuming that a group of school children who haven't experienced things could be lurking anywhere at any given time online.

Obviously if you're on a Halo or Destiny forum, you're announcing you're going to be talking about that subject. Someone can enter if they dare or avoid it like the plague since they know what to expect. I always avoid the B.Org forums on launches until I've completed the new release. But if you're on a B.Org forum and somebody starts talking about how So and So did something in a completely different game or medium, without warning, you're just shit out of luck.

And if it's relevant to the topic at hand, and assuming that thing has been around for 1,000 years, why would they think to censor it? The expectations are too rigid. If medieval literature somehow applies in comparison, but you were just a month away from reading that particular piece of writing because you're this hardcore medieval literature buff but didn't get to it yet, how dare that person reference that thing that goes back to the Crusades? No. If we're in a thread about writing, and someone wants to make some sort of comparison to Destiny's writing, depending upon how old that work is, it's not unreasonable to make the assumption that a majority of people are aware of it. It's also not necessarily unreasonable to expect that outside examples unrelated to Destiny might be referenced as part of the overall conversation.

The kind thing to do, I think, is to give some warning that you're going to delve into the details of a different subject. And Cody did give a warning and I appreciate that. The way he formatted it just wasn't very effective.

Cody's was beyond ineffective. I'm not even going to pretend to try and defend that. But this whole censor all the potential spoiler things regardless of how long they've been around? That's unreal to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread