It is not a tiny ounce (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 27, 2015, 19:04 (3195 days ago) @ scarab

barring an apocalypse there will always be a constant stream of people coming into this world who don't know x about y.

So what do we do?

Do we never mention anything ever? If that is too harsh then what can we mention?

Let's not pretend there is only one spoiler and that we can all avoid that spoiler. Anything in popular culture will be a spoiler to somebody.

Spoilers are different for everybody, sure. That's why it's polite to consider who you're speaking to. I personally don't watch any future trailers or view any gossip about a movie I know I want to see. I literally know next-to-nothing about the new Star Wars movie. I'll be going in blind. My friend knows that so he doesn't bring up any crap he's seen. And I know he's reading all of Game of Thrones before watching any of the show so I don't mention anything I've seen to him. But we both know we've both played all of the Halo games so we can chat about of any of their details. It's pretty easy to discern what is a spoiler and what isn't when you know who you're talking to. And if you don't know, then why not err on the side of being careful?

If you're just publicly broadcasting details of something to no one in particular, you're probably ruining it for some one... and I don't see any point of that. If you want to write an article or a blog post about a book or a show, let that be clear up front so those interested in avoiding spoilers can hop out before that might happen.

I'm not saying not to talk about spoilers, just to be kind if you don't know your audience or they don't know what you're about to dive into.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread