In my opinion it is unreasonable to want to use the internet (Destiny)

by scarab @, Monday, July 27, 2015, 15:58 (3210 days ago) @ someotherguy

and want to be unspoiled for years after the events.

I don't want to scan all my posts for the possibility of mentioning something in a show that somebody else is thinking of possibly watching some day.

There is a trade off. If something is fresh out then try not to spoil it. If it has been out for over a year then tough.

If anyone is upset then they can be upset. We can't put our lives on hold for them. Well, I could do that but I don't want to.

And, no, that doesn't mean that I have no regard for anyone else. I'm just giving myself somewhat less regard than what I give to others. Less but not zero.

And it's not merely 5 seconds of time. It is unremitting scrutiny of every public post I make on the internet.

I see it as two graphs. There is a curve of unhappiness multiplied by numbers of people made unhappy by being spoiled. It starts off high but drops as more and more people see the thing that could be spoiled.

There is another curve of the hassle of self censorship. It starts off low but rises over time as more and more people have already seen the thing.

Do we need two internets?

Most of the reason for posting about geeky things online is because you want to share it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread