Why Bungie gets visual storytelling wrong (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 27, 2015, 01:09 (3195 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Well, for one thing, you are a man and she is a woman. Color me sexist, but it's not usually the men bawling their eyes out when people die. If she had seen it on TV first, you can bet the reaction would have been more intense.

I don't think this is true at all. While I do enjoy the GoT show, it in no way approaches the emotional notes of the books for me. Maybe some of it is diluted because I've read the books, and already know what's going to happen, but I don't connect with the characters in the show anywhere near as much as I do in the books (for the most part).

I've found the opposite to be true in many instances. I'm much, much more emotionally invested in books than I am in television or film. I think because of the nature of what books are (something you do on your own, at a slow pace compared to movies, using your imagination), it forces you to connect on a deeper level. I don't think seeing something is necessarily as powerful as you imply versus reading something. I honestly think NOT seeing something can be more powerful in some ways. By being forced to imagine and picture what you're reading about, you're investing that much more into what's happening.

This is quite simply because you have already emotionally engaged with the characters on the level the books allow, which I spent an entire essay arguing is incompatible with visual media. Simply put, the hastag #notmychristian explains pretty much why. The simulated reality of the show clashes with your imagination of it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread