I have a capable PC now. No extra games, way more work. (Gaming)

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:41 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

The PC is really similar to the Digital Foundry budget PC build, so I use their videos to gauge performance of new games I might buy. The difference is I have an AMD quad core processor as opposed to an Intel i3. Due to how easy that is to do, if they build another one, I am going to upgrade my PC in the exact same way. That is, if I continue PC gaming.

I have to constantly adjust settings. That is lame. I heard about all these great PC titles out there, which is why I wanted the computer, but they're generally just crappy games. I mean, they'd be fine for 1998, but they just don't play as well as the big titles, and the big titles are all on console too. So I have to hunt for games I'd like to play.

Starcraft? Nope. Too complicated. Elder Scrolls online? Better on Xbox. Black Ops 3? Don't like CoD. Borderlands? No friends, no fun. Madden? Destiny? Halo? Tomb Raider? Console only.

I got Fallout 4 for the PC for mods, because I don't buy the Xbox mod thing. I used to have a lot of fun with Half-Life and Halo mods. But mods are fucking complicated now. How the hell do I work any of this shit? Just let me replace the textures.map file or something! Tried Skyrim for mods. Don't understand it. WHO DOES THIS? WHY WOULD YOU GAME ON THE PC? It's way more work for a negligible benefit.

Yes, you could get a bigger benefit. Buy a 140 HZ 4k monitor, a $280 graphics card, a $300 processor, and so on, and you get a slightly better looking game than what the Xbox has. And you also spent a thousand dollars and your own time looking shit up, researching, etc.

If you are on the fence about it, don't bother.

However, if you're buying a new PC anyway, order a $120 graphics card from Newegg or something and give it a go. You might like it as a hobby.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread