Priorities (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 06, 2015, 18:23 (3065 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Seriously, I can't even imagine what it's like to be a game developer. It must be absolutely heartbreaking like 90% of the time. People just tear your hard work apart like it's nothing.

I'd guess that if you looked at usage stats and ignored online forums, the picture might be slightly different. :)

(I'm not saying they ignore online forums. They have an entire team that's dedicated to interacting with the public, that studies what fans are saying. I'm saying that if you're on a different team at Bungie, you might be able to avoid that vocal minority and focus on the actual data, and have a non-heartbreaking view of public perception. :) )

I don't doubt that's true, but I imagine it'd be hard (at least for me, personally) to avoid going online and seeing what folks are saying. I mean, logically you know all that negativity is the vocal minority, but it'd still be hard to see. Although, maybe that'd be a convincing enough reason to avoid seeking out online opinions . . .

Plus, I'm sure meeting fans at things like PAX would paint a much better picture (for the few devs that make it to those events, anyway).

I'm sure it's extremely rewarding at times, but I'm struggling to think of a job were you can work so hard on something that's really amazing, and still be shit on by your "fans" for it. I hope it's really not as bad as I'm imagining . . .

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread