You're right. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, December 07, 2015, 04:12 (3065 days ago) @ petetheduck

My point still stands: Playstation exclusives have been exclusively paired with expansions (Crota's End, House of Wolves, Taken King), until now. I forgot to include the launch of the game in my previous post, but that's irrelevant and should be obvious. The inclusion of exclusive content with these "freebies" may indicate a change in how content is delivered for this game. The traditional paid DLC release may not resemble what it did in year 1.

It's an interesting point. A few thoughts come to mind:

- This is the first instance of exclusive content being attached to free content, isn't it? I'll certainly take note if this become a trend.

- With the addition of micro transactions, I'd think the shape of future paid content is very much up in the air right now. (At least for our point of view) I can imagine a future where the next paid content is initially a good deal smaller than The Taken King, and more like House of Wolves, but is far better supported. Like, what if we got a new Destination (Io, Old Chicago, whatever) and a House of Wolves length story but new missions and quests kept popping up over the next two months? Perhaps a smaller initial batch of content could be made to feel much more substantial if it seemed to just keep going and going?

- One of my older arguments against Playstation exclusives is: I don't like paying the same amount of money as a Playstation player but getting less content. Something like the Undying Mind strike is a good example. Sure, I have it now, but why did my $60 not get it for a year when the Playstation user's $60 did? That sort of thing. It'd be interesting if Bungie has found a way around some sort of "There must be x amount of Playstation exclusives per year" clause by attaching the exclusive content to free events and releases. That way, we'd all get the same amount of content when we spend money.

I was actually trying to respond to you in good faith and express a sincere idea, but clearly I forgot who I was talking to.

Come on, there's no need for this. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread