This. This exactly. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 18:27 (2583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. The writing / story / gameplay is right in line with past Mass Effects, baring the obvious new combat changes and additions (like the jump jet) which I thought were very much a positive. It's not industry leading but it's also far better than a few of those reviewers who savaged it were saying. It did take a while for me to grow to know the characters but by the end I enjoyed who they all are.
2. I love the return to ME:1-ish exploration and driving around planets and crafting and complexity. In a lot of ways, I think ME:A is what Mass Effect always wanted to be... or at least what I always wanted it to be.
3. With no spoilers, I thought it ended very strong and also did a good job of recognizing that you might continue playing even after finish up the main storyline.

Man, that's really pushing me towards getting it. The combat stuff is whatever. I mean, I'm glad it's okay, but that's the least important part of Mass Effect to me. I like exploring and finding all the stories the game tells. I guess I've only really seen the first hour or so of the game, plus some random bits here and there from Let's Plays, but I just didn't find any of the characters likable or interesting or particularly well written. Like I said, that's hard to judge from just watching a few videos, but most of the reviews seems to focus on how the game doesn't really bring it in that regard.

Partly, it's also just the fact that we're in a post The Witcher 3 world now, and that game is the standard for interesting characters and interesting stories for me now (whereas it probably was Mass Effect 1 and 2 before).

I've got a $30 credit at Gamestop, so picking Mass Effect Andromeda for $30 is pretty tempting . . .

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread