Also, for anyone saying "it is just a teaser"... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 12:51 (2585 days ago) @ Kermit

Hey bud, I truly look forward to the day when we can hang out together in person, but now I’m a little worried that I might use the wrong fork. ;)

Don't worry, I forgo eating utensils all together ;) Miss you too, my friend :)

Your argument is well articulated, and I can relate to the impulse to further explain your point of view given the pile-on here, but I have quibbles. A rule you left out is that a teaser must ENTERTAIN. By that metric, this teaser succeeds like gangbusters IMHO. Also, the need to adhere to your other rules might be dependent on the whether it’s a new brand. Destiny is not a new brand. Yes, having Cayde acting like Cayde in a teaser could be sending terrible/horrible signals regarding the tone of the entire game, or it could just be a duck acting like a duck. I could easily argue that it signals that the game will focus on character this time around (which is great!), but both hypotheses might be wrong. I share your hope that that there is some gravitas to go with the levity (Cayde and Eris need each other), and Bungie has been explicit from the beginning that the challenge they set for themselves was to create a post-apocalyptic world that was fun to be in. This teaser doesn’t signal to me that they’ve given up on that task. Like you, looking forward to the full trailer.

Kerm

All good points. In my head, the need to entertain with a teaser rolled into point number 2 on my list, but I suspect Bungie wanted to lean into that specific aspect as hard as possible. That still doesn't solve my personal quibbles with the teaser (I didn't find it funny or entertaining), but that's just personal tastes and preferences. :)

P.S. More thoughts on Deadpool ‘cause I can’t help myself. Sure, there is overlap between Deadpool and Cayde-6, but Deadpool bores me in that his schtick seems rooted in juvenile irreverence—Look ma! I gots a potty mouth! I see Cayde as a spin on Malcom Reynolds who was a spin on Han Solo who was a spin on wisecracking rascals who know how to handle a gun going WAY BACK. He’s a much more interesting character to me.

I don't think Cayde is that similar to Deadpool, really. A totally agree with all the comparisons you made. The teaser, however, has a striking similarity to the Deadpool movie to me. There's just something about the editing, the framing, the script... it just hit me that way :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread