Problems with Destiny

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:34 (3961 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I don't think Halo was as interesting as you remember. Bungie's Halo games had the golden triangle, with the only real 'flair' coming from what you could create yourself. Sure, that's interesting, but it doesn't deserve some pedestal above Destiny quite yet.

Also, regarding Hunters, c'mon now. Halo CE had that pistol trick. After that, unless you had a power weapon or tank, was it ever not 'shoot and grenade the hunters a lot' and 'don't get punched in the face?' Hell, a lot of Hunter encounters have been jokes, literally and figuratively.

And I think Halo is quite as interesting as I remember. So much so that I was able to specify exactly several issues that Halo had done better - such as AI behaviour and response to low health.

It is, frankly, very concerning to me that this far through the development process and they still don't have a solid flair to the fallen. Their main gimmicks appear to be crawling on walls, close-range knife attacks, and evaporating when they die. It's really not that impressive - I would flat out say the Prometheans in Halo 4 are more engaging and interesting than this. The Fallen have four arms, and yet you don't really even see how they put that to use. They're a very hierarchical group of nobility, and yet you hardly see how that effects their behaviour in-game.

In regards to your comments about Hunters, I'm honestly puzzled by how much you think they sucked. They were always one of my favourite enemies in Halo; yes they had telegraphed attacks - that's a good thing, it helped make them different and engaging. They had a certain way of being dealt with: Heavy weapons, or close range combat dodging their melee attacks. Just because they could be easily eliminated with the pistol has no bearing on how interesting they were to fight, and frankly even the inclusion of the pistol backshot instakill made them interesting in their own way. You don't fight anything else like you fight a Hunter.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread