Things to do?

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 07:16 (3935 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is there going to be enough to do in Destiny? And I don't mean "hanging out on Mars".

Creating content and designing encounters is tough. I mean, look at Reach. You got nine levels of crafted spaces and encounters, and that game took more than 2 years to make, and took most people somewhere around 15 hours to finish.

From what I see in MMOs, there's enough content only because it all takes a long time to do because:

1. You have to travel around a lot to get to the quests.
2. The enemies take a relatively long time to fight
3. You need to grind your way to the required level

Has Bungie really been working on Destiny long enough, and with enough people that when it ships we'll get more than 15 hours of encounters? Or are they going to use any of the three methods above to slow us down from completing it?

Because I can easily see a good player sitting down and beating Reach in a long day. Maybe Destiny will take an entire weekend. But due to the nature of combat in first person shooters, and the time required to make compelling spaces and encounters, what is going to keep me in this world other than them having a shit ton of levels?

Are there going to just be a shit ton of levels? Are we going to be slowed down MMO style? Will the shit ton of levels be designed well with care and attention to them?

I think Bungies kind of been hinting about the fact that Destiny is going to have a ton of content. There's a reason they've focused on things like "look how quickly we can generate content in Grognok!" http://youtu.be/vUxRTCTr7ic?t=28m52s The rapid creation of geometry is *very* impressive, and it appears that a fully lit textured scene can be assembled rapidly.

I'm actually more worried about the ability to fill all this space with variety. How many different objectives, how many different types of encounters can come about? Will this content be *interesting*

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread