You see problems, I see awesomeness we don't know yet.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 17:48 (3965 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Now, when you say "Wait and see! Have hope! Believe in these guys!" You're basically asking for opinions to be made on phantoms, for players to place a religious amount of trust in the developer, but you can't form a real opinion on something that you haven't seen and don't know exists. It's an empirical vs religious way of thinking, and when you go down the religious path, what you end up with are people, days from release going "I know they haven't shown any of feature X, but they just wanted to keep it from us to discover in the game itself!" followed soon after when it isn't in the game with: "Well, it's not a feature that was really important anyways, the game is still fantastic!".

First, let's just drop your use of "religious" as a pejorative for everyone's comfort. I think you're implying that some of us have blind faith in Bungie, and it may look like that, but it's not for a lot of us. Bungie has made 11 games since I've been following them, and of those, only two disappointed me--Halo 2 and Oni--and despite their problems, they were both a hell of a lot of fun.

You raised a lot of valid concerns based on limited information. (A lot of them were mentioned in the ASE podcast, so you're not alone.) I don't begrudge you mentioning them; I share some of the concerns you have. I do think I have more faith that Bungie won't make a lot of the mistakes you bring up. (And some of them I don't consider mistakes.) It's not blind faith, though. It's based on having been in place before and having great expectations, and then having those expectations met, and often exceeded.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread