How are you doing? (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 26, 2020, 17:23 (1484 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I’m well! Thanks for asking!

Mostly not much has changed for me. I’m an automotive tech, we’re considered essential, so no closure. I work for a small business; the boss is being really great, offering time off if we want it. He’s prepared and say we can hold out for a while without a lot of business. Unless this thing drags on for months and months, my job is secure. That said, we’re staying moderately busy so far. People still need their cars fixed.

The rest of my life is continuing mostly as normal. I live out in the boonies and mostly just chill at home anyway, so nothing has really changed in that regard.

I’ve abandoned Destiny wholesale again. I was excited for Trials, but couldn’t stomach the power level climb to get there. I still have fun when I play, but I’m just not wired to be able to just enjoy it without trying to level up the season pass or get my power level up. But when I focus on doing those, I end up not having very much fun. I’m finding that Apex Legends has my competitive shooter needs filled anyway. Borderlands 3, which I bought at release but didn’t play much of, it’s filling the other side of my looter shooter needs. I’m enjoying it a whole lot more than I did initially. Thanks stabbim for convincing me to jump back in!

I also started playing Dirt Rally 2.0 again, and rigged up a proper handbrake for my wheel setup. It’s essential in Dirt Rally, and searching for the B button on the steering wheel mid-turn sucks, so I’m happy to have a “real” handbrake. The game is tons of fun, just an incredibly visceral racing experience. It’s the DOOM of racing games.

Speaking of, I also got Doom Eternal. It’s very good! I also don’t like it very much. The combat is absolutely phenomenal and it’s gorgeous, but everything else about the game sucks. The platforming feels fine, it’s just not any fun at all. The writing completely misses all of the charm and irreverence of the first game. I honestly don’t think I’ll finish it. It makes me wonder if a lot of the charm and tone of the first game was a complete accident, or if it’s just something that’s impossible to recreate for a sequel.

But that’s okay, because I also bought Animal Crossing, and I love it. I’ve never played an Animal Crossing game before, but I fell hard for Stardew Valley, so I assumed I’d like it. And I do! I really dig the loop of just collecting things and creating things and customizing my island and house. For all of my bitching about having to do chores in Destiny, of course I’d fall for a game that’s all about doing actual chores.

I’m also looking forward to that Control DLC!

I hope everyone can make it through this with relative ease!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread