^^yup^^ (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:05 (1346 days ago) @ Vortech

I don't understand the phrase "The focus of the game is no longer 'to have fun.' ". The GAME never had that focus. Players can have a focus to have fun. The game can have a focus to provide fun. I'm not just being pedantic here, it's always weird to have people come in and tell me that I'm not having fun with Destiny. I was tricked into believing a lie, gullible old me.

I don't think anybody is saying that. If there was no fun to be had anywhere in Destiny, nobody would play it at all.

I can say I feel pretty strongly that they listen to the wrong people about what the game should be. I think a lot of decisions were made to appease streamers who have a different idea of what "fun" is and that it gets conflated with the needs of their business — needs the vast majority of people do not have. I think internally there are too many people who want to recapture the fun times they had playing World of Warcraft, both because I don't find that sort of game fun, and because I think a lot of these things can't be brought over piecemeal and retro-fitted into Destiny.

This is what we are saying. I personally would argue the very things that made WoW what it was are in fact detrimental to fun on the whole.

I guess all of this is to ask, what changed that makes you say the game is "no longer" made with a goal of people — or even you — having fun

I can only speak for myself here… but I feel like the shortcomings used to be mere mistakes and missteps. That those things were actively trying to be fixed and avoided; it was simply that Bungie was working out how to do so. But nowadays I see shortcomings intentionally designed in and integrated into the game (the implication being that their inclusion serves a different purpose than "fun"). You can disagree with me about what a shortcoming is, but this is how I see it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread