^^yup^^ (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:30 (1346 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't understand the phrase "The focus of the game is no longer 'to have fun.' ". The GAME never had that focus. Players can have a focus to have fun. The game can have a focus to provide fun. I'm not just being pedantic here, it's always weird to have people come in and tell me that I'm not having fun with Destiny. I was tricked into believing a lie, gullible old me.

I don't think anybody is saying that.

I'm putting it in quotes for a reason. I guess the only part I didn't cite was "tricks" but that was for grammatical reasons.

If there was no fun to be had anywhere in Destiny, nobody would play it at all.

So, they just are not having the right kind of fun? I guess so if

This is what we are saying. I personally would argue the very things that made WoW what it was are in fact detrimental to fun on the whole.

I guess all of this is to ask, what changed that makes you say the game is "no longer" made with a goal of people — or even you — having fun

I can only speak for myself here… but I feel like the shortcomings used to be mere mistakes and missteps. That those things were actively trying to be fixed and avoided; it was simply that Bungie was working out how to do so. But nowadays I see shortcomings intentionally designed in and integrated into the game (the implication being that their inclusion serves a different purpose than "fun"). You can disagree with me about what a shortcoming is, but this is how I see it.

I'm not disagreeing with what a shortcoming is, but I also am not going to decide I didn't like the show because of a review of the show from the cheap seats, or I guess in your case, obstructed view. Anyway, that's all different than invalidating people's fun and wasn't really an answer to my question anyhow (and given you have not been playing it for so long I wasn't expecting you to answer the question).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread