Number of times I fought with the interface: (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 02:32 (3544 days ago) @ kapowaz

Inventory was never an issue. Maybe you were just carrying too much crap Vagueness. I never saw a reason to carry more than three alternates for any given slot, if that much. Anything more was usually engrams that could be ignored, or garbage that was swiftly dismantled.

I'm sure he wasn't the only one (I usually had 5-6 primaries in my inventory at any time, since I was experimenting with different weapon types in Crucible), but in any case if what we've heard about how harder content is going to work (specific damage types for certain enemies) is true, then more and more players are going to find themselves carrying lots of guns, and swapping between them often, via what is a somewhat clumsy interface.

We've talked about it before, but I think the solution is to provide us with loadouts and an easy way of switching between them in combat. That's the biggest place where a cursor UI falls down: use under time pressure. Some players won't struggle, but I'm sure others will. How exactly you could do this is a tricky question, as the Destiny control scheme is already pretty packed. Maybe some other button combination within the inventory could let you quickly toggle between two or three loadouts? Just spitballing here.

If you were only using those primaries in the Crucible, why were you carrying them around all the time? You had a perfectly good vault in the Tower to keep them in. And why, with how obnoxiously fast you die, would you take them all in with you at once? You'd spend one life just swapping guns (I'm sure I'm exaggerating, but I couldn't stand more than two matches before I gave up. Maybe this is false.)

And you shouldn't be carrying around an entire armory just so you have the right damage type either. You're making it sound like you'll want to carry an Auto Rifle in all damage flavors, a Pulse Rifle in all flavors, a Scout Rifle in all flavors, etc. That's madness. Just take three primaries, one of each damage type. Four if for some reason kinetic is better than anything else. At most that's nine (twelve if you have to have kinetic) guns on your person at any given time, three per slot, with the rest being loot drops. Anything beyond that is in the Tower. Oh, and then there's, you know, the other two people on your Fireteam. You know, those guys who are hopefully speced and equipped to fill the gaps the others cannot.

I'm not seeing any need for loadouts. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and only adds a complication. But hey, maybe my cumulative months playing Borderlands has prepared and taught me how to handle this stuff. I see Destiny's inventory and weapon system as nothing more than twists on very familiar mechanics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread