Number of times I fought with the interface: (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:37 (3543 days ago) @ Avateur

Believe it Naruto.

From my own Beta review, I quote myself:

"I absolutely love the whole "hover" selection with the thumbstick to select what screens or icons I want to go to. I like how seamless everything feels."

I don't understand how you were finding such a hard time with the hover UI, or somehow clicking on the wrong things.

I didn't "click on" or fully select the wrong things that much, but I came close, so I had to keep moving the cursor back around to what I actually wanted. As for why, part of it was lack of familiarity and intuition in using it, which I was able to deal with as I said way back in the first post. Part of it is that thumbsticks are ill-suited to cursors. Part of it is that trying to cut corners selects or pre-selects or brings up whatever you were on for a split second, which is bad when item you hovered on for a moment was a main item or representative item because it opens a little sub-page (and I already said why making the last thing stay open longer isn't that much of a help, it'll take longer to intentionally select things and the interface is already too slow). Part of it is that frustration with it lead to distraction and missing items I wanted to select. Frustration also made me try to find mental and physical shortcuts which also lead to missing items more.
Did you have to hover on the selected item of an item type to get other items of that type? I can't remember any more; I think you did have to, and that bothered me too, because it's another thing, and a bigger thing, in the way of just moving the cursor from A to B and pressing a button.
To be honest, I'm a lot more frustrated talking about it and having to explain why it was frustrating than I was most of the time using it, which seems like a bad sign to me. It seems like one of those things that's easy and feels right, or is hard and/or feels wrong, and for me it mildly hard and it felt wrong. I don't think anyone was complaining about the regular system, which shows up in console games all over the place, including the Halo games.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread