Number of times I fought with the interface *EDIT* (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 20:26 (3543 days ago) @ ZackDark

But that line of thinking hampers progress. How can you strive to develop a better navigational tool if most people have that mindset?

Bungie tried something slightly unconventional, but not revolutionary at all, to be honest. GV, for one, didn't like it due to lack of speed and slight proneness of time-delaying error. I'm merely proposing a system that allies the fluidity of thumbstick directional navigation with speed and precision.

Sure, it might suck. I'm all for testing it out first. But if the tester never even gives it a chance on grounds that "they already know the last system well and the new one has a learning curve", it will obviously never be good enough.

I'm sure there are a few people out there that never use computers/type-writers to write essays because writing down by hand has a smaller learning curve. ;)

You're not wrong, it's silly and it's a stupid reason to stall progress. Nevertheless, I can't offer up much more than, "I prefer to stick to what I know." As a species we've been typing in largely the same way for nearly a century and a half. That's one hell of an obstacle to overcome when introducing a new method. I think earlier, somewhere, someone mentioned using Smartglass as opposed to the console keyboard, and honestly, I think it's more likely we'll see a larger shift in that direction (using an auxiliary device as a keyboard) than it is we'll see a shift in onscreen keyboards themselves. That's not to say I don't welcome attempts to change the status quo. I just can't promise I'll look at it without cringing and edging closer to QWERTY.

(Earlier I mentioned the fact it looked like T9 up-turned my stomach, irony is, I used to be ridiculously fast at T9, and often I could compose without looking at the phone. I find it's rather like commercial free radio though, or SD to HD, once you've switched to the better option, you never go back. Better in this case is going from T9 to QWERTY.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread