It's up to Activision, not Bungie (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:00 (3198 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Microsoft stated in their presser (as well as in subsequent interviews) that the decision to allow the backwards compatibility was up to the publisher of each title.

That's Bungie's fault. They should have not conceded shit like that in their contracts with activation. They created one of the biggest game franchises ever. They should have took a much harder line. Easy to say from here I guess since I don't know particulars, but I do think Bungie told a bit of a fib when they said they retained total creative control.

I'm not sure if I would even view backwards compatibility options in the realm of creative control. There's a number of games and comics publishers who give authors 'complete control' over their creation, but still have plenty of say in how and when exactly those creations are marketed/made available. They just don't tamper with the thing itself. Not saying that's right, just that it's not always easy to pin down the line between creation and publication.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread