Adopt the Doctrine of Ignorance. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:04 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes exactly! So… wouldn't that mean the investment system getting out of the way and letting you have fun? I've been saying this for 9 years now: investment systems are anti-fun by their very design.

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect. I think investment systems can be done right; they're a way to keep the experience dynamic even after one has invested significant time already. And Bungie is clearly still figuring out how they want theirs tuned to fit within the Destiny experience.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun. Increasing LL doesn't change gameplay. Sure, you'll be able to run Heroics and Nightfalls, because your damage values change, but that's immaterial. Combat itself over time isn't dynamic. The shift in meta according to Bungie's whims (which are informed by data collection) are the only source of variation beyond a certain point.

In a game all about winnowing down humanity's best to find a small cadre of ultimate soldiers; one would think new and amazing powers would open up to higher-level players. Or, at the very least, the nature of combat for higher-level players would focus on different things.

The easiest and most realistic implementation of this is a simple light level selector on the activity, ranging from very easy to very hard. Almost like the difficulty selector they had in the Alpha. You can work your way up any way you see fit.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum. I'm guessing they won't feel like the benefit balances the investment of resources there.

~M

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread