Adopt the Doctrine of Ignorance. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:18 (2177 days ago) @ Malagate

Yes exactly! So… wouldn't that mean the investment system getting out of the way and letting you have fun? I've been saying this for 9 years now: investment systems are anti-fun by their very design.

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect.

False. The game demands you engage with it. I need to progress from 350 to around 370 if I want to do the raid. Explain to me how to do that without engaging in the investment system in which the only way to advance is to do boring things (besides maybe run the old raids)?

I think investment systems can be done right;

It's not done right here in my opinion. Nor is it done right in many other modern games.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun.

Because they tie the things that are fun to engaging with the investment system. I do not get this. Everybody on reddit loved Destiny's position in the rise of iron era, and there was no grind to the raids. That's an era everyone wants to go back to. So…

In a game all about winnowing down humanity's best to find a small cadre of ultimate soldiers; one would think new and amazing powers would open up to higher-level players. Or, at the very least, the nature of combat for higher-level players would focus on different things.

This is why the progression system should open up over a longer period of time, over a wider variety of activities, and then have end game content that requires absolute mastery of the skills you've learned. You gain experience and can keep customizing your avatar in Deus Ex all the way up to the final area, which is a mega death murder trap in which you must exploit all the skills you've chosen in order to survive.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum.

Fine. I would be more than happy with large releases every year as opposed to small ones 3 times a year.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread