Adopt the Doctrine of Ignorance. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, May 21, 2018, 08:45 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I disagree. You have the option not to subscribe to that aspect.

False. The game demands you engage with it. I need to progress from 350 to around 370 if I want to do the raid. Explain to me how to do that without engaging in the investment system in which the only way to advance is to do boring things (besides maybe run the old raids)?

LOL, so here we have another example of someone posing a conflicting viewpoint and you arguing your opinion as fact. Cody, I disagree with you because that's exactly how I play. I have the option because I choose not to care. You're being a slave to the system the game has laid out and then whining that you're not having fun when you're the one that railed against this all along. The game does not at all demand I engage with it. I do so on my own terms.

Ascribing a "boring/not-boring" qualifier for things is entirely subjective. You engage how you choose to engage, nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you're actually frustrated because you can't engage the way you want, then say that. But stop acting like the way you want to do things is the only way; and if Bungie decides to develop in a different direction, they're somehow doing it wrong. There's plenty of ways in which I think they can improve the Destiny experience, and their success in their target market is fully on them.

It's not done right here in my opinion. Nor is it done right in many other modern games.

You might be shocked to learn that I agree with you here; because you've hardly been listening to anything I've said.

I think the real issue is that players overfocus on the investment system rather than just playing to have fun.

Because they tie the things that are fun to engaging with the investment system. I do not get this. Everybody on reddit loved Destiny's position in the rise of iron era, and there was no grind to the raids. That's an era everyone wants to go back to. So…

Again very subjective. And I disagree. The only thing I miss from RoI are the Iron Lord medallions we could earn that would change gameplay. It was a layer of nuance added for players who'd already experienced all prior aspects of the game. They were a great touch.

This is why the progression system should open up over a longer period of time, over a wider variety of activities, and then have end game content that requires absolute mastery of the skills you've learned. You gain experience and can keep customizing your avatar in Deus Ex all the way up to the final area, which is a mega death murder trap in which you must exploit all the skills you've chosen in order to survive.

I don't disagree here. Escalation Protocol fits some of that for me. I still have yet to reach the end, or drop into an area where a larger group has coordinated enough to succeed, but I'm sure I will eventually. But some Non-Raid endgame activity that demands a lot from players in a similar fashion is something Destiny would certainly benefit from.

And I can see the argument for that, but that isn't what is. And, as I've responded to you elsewhere; this would require more rounds of testing and tuning, which would add time to their release schedule at minimum.

Fine. I would be more than happy with large releases every year as opposed to small ones 3 times a year.

As would I. But in either case, Destiny still needs a more frequent and consistent drip of free content that builds out lore and adds life and strings of connective tissue to the world. Give me three or four kids running through the tower kicking a soccer ball, FFS. Or hassling vendors, etc.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread