*[caveat] (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Monday, May 21, 2018, 10:21 (2177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To reemphasize:

level of de-gamification that has been conducted to accommodate tonal nature of the campaign

Mechanically, even for social interactions (in some pen and paper games explicitly referred to as social combat) DnD is pretty well structured as a game. And I have been in games where the most memorable events were theough roleplay. I have also been in games where a single roll in a combat was the most memorable event.

No, you aren’t bound by game code. But what you describe is both the best and worst aspect of DnD, not being bound by the game at all. Thankfully there are newer mechanisms to support quality roleplay instead of having to rely on individual DM fiat. An established group gets used to the way their folk interact. But if you do any Adventurer’s League or pikc-up games or have multiple groups you learn a lot more about the structural focus.

I’m not ragging on group storytelling. I worldbuild as a hobby. But I just consider it disingenuous to describe DnD as something it isn’t to bring down something that is of similar mold.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread