Time sinks (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Friday, January 16, 2015, 14:00 (3401 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Avateur, Friday, January 16, 2015, 14:23

That's inherently false. I enjoy the game quite a bit, and this game is masterful at wasting my time and just about everyone else's.

Really? Are we back to Cody's "if you're playing a video game instead of doing something productive, you're wasting your time" argument?

Nope. First of all, I have no idea what you're talking about. Second, Cody speaks for himself, not me.

Because if we're not, I'd thank you not to speak for others. (You certainly don't speak for me, and it's pretty clear you don't speak for nico, either.)

The time I choose to devote to playing Destiny is rarely wasted; I play because I like playing. I rarely farm (in the sense Cody's talking about) - there are times I choose to simply patrol, but it's because I like it. If I didn't, I would play something else.

You're projecting whatever it is that Cody said at some point onto me, and that's great and all, but I never once implied that just playing the game as a video game was a waste of time. And why would I use Destiny as that argument? We both could think of some other video games that I'd much rather use as an example for that.

Moving on, I said that the game itself was masterful at wasting peoples' time. It's not black and white (as if to imply just the mere act of playing the game is a waste), as indicated by my saying that his premise was inherently false. I said I enjoy the game quite a bit, and I can enjoy the game plenty, yet the game is still great at wasting my and others' time. For example, the ability to skip cutscenes that doesn't exist. You also have every right to disagree with that example. Still wastes peoples' time.

There have been weeks I haven't had enough coins to buy whatever's cool from Xur, and it's made me sad - but it hasn't changed the way I play the game.

From talking to others, I know I'm not alone.

So? I run a single character. Clearly my lack of getting whatever hasn't led me to run multiple characters. Apparently we're in agreement.

This forum (and really ANY forum devoted to this game, or any game) tends to attract power players - just this morning I read a couple of posts from people who have 2-3 of almost every high-level exotic in the game. I KNOW that the vast majority of players don't have ANY of those - much less multiple copies... so when you let your opinion of how the game should be be swayed by what you hear on a forum, you're not really getting a true picture of the player base. I think that's true here, too.

Agreed, though I don't see how that matters beyond whatever thing Cody said at one point that you're going on about. The only reason I said his thing was inherently false was because the two aren't mutually exclusive. You can enjoy the game and still find many parts of the game that waste your time personally or outright, and that's for all individuals. As a matter of fact, all video games generally waste everyone's time in some way, shape, or form. Hence why it's inherently false to claim that something doesn't waste your time just because you enjoy it. But we can agree to disagree. It's still just my opinion, regardless of whatever Cody thing you're talking about.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread