As someone who fits the "power player" profile... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 16, 2015, 14:24 (3400 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's inherently false. I enjoy the game quite a bit, and this game is masterful at wasting my time and just about everyone else's.

Really? Are we back to Cody's "if you're playing a video game instead of doing something productive, you're wasting your time" argument?

Because if we're not, I'd thank you not to speak for others. (You certainly don't speak for me, and it's pretty clear you don't speak for nico, either.)

The time I choose to devote to playing Destiny is rarely wasted; I play because I like playing. I rarely farm (in the sense Cody's talking about) - there are times I choose to simply patrol, but it's because I like it. If I didn't, I would play something else.

There have been weeks I haven't had enough coins to buy whatever's cool from Xur, and it's made me sad - but it hasn't changed the way I play the game.

I saw that he had Dragon's Breath last week, and though I wanted to buy it, I didn't feel like running the weekly Heroic to get the coins for it, since I felt like doing other fun things. I guess we're in the same boat...

This forum (and really ANY forum devoted to this game, or any game) tends to attract power players - just this morning I read a couple of posts from people who have 2-3 of almost every high-level exotic in the game.

Not only do I have every launch-day exotic, but I have multiple Ice Breakers, Gjallarhorns, Mythoclasts, etc... But that's pretty much all from dumb luck, and more often than not, I don't even use them. I like playing around with less-than-top-tier gear.

Never have I had the "if you don't have this, why bother" attitude of many min-maxers. Despite having enough armors to get my characters to 32, I played Iron Banner just to get the awesome-looking 33-light Chest for the Hunter, because I like how it looks, and knocking my character down to 31 didn't bother me. I could taste Cody's confusion through the headset...
I play Destiny longer than I need to if stuff that I like is available, to an extent. I may not run a 20-minute weekly to get a 331 rocket launcher that I won't use, but I don't mind working hard for days to nab a shiny chest that I'll enjoy wearing, even if the stats suck...

tl;dr Even power players aren't all negative nancies about how to play the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread