Time sinks (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, January 16, 2015, 14:40 (3400 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Really? Are we back to Cody's "if you're playing a video game instead of doing something productive, you're wasting your time" argument?

That's not what I am saying. I'm saying if you aren't having fun, your time is being wasted. Destiny put up many many barriers to fun, thus has a lot of wasted time. Not a second of my time playing Wolfenstein New Order for example, was wasted. Not. One. Second.

You take a selfish and entitled approach. Your idea of fun (playing at a mid-tier skill level against top-tier challenges) is often at the expense of others. Your playstyle often wastes other people's time, because you die. A lot. Like, A LOT. And while it doesn't bother me, and I enjoy playing with you, more often than not, you're screwing over everyone else, so YOU become the barrier to fun for others.

"Sorry guys, I don't have any heavy ammo, because I didn't want to grind ten minutes to buy it. It's all Bungie's fault."

"Sorry guys, I didn't have the materials to upgrade my gear, because I didn't want to run patrol and gather it. It's Bungie's fault."

"Sorry guys, I know I've died thirty times in this one encounter because I made all of these mistakes, but I don't want to do the quick cheese because that's not fun, and it's Bungie's fault for all of this time that's being wasted."

You are the demons.

It was simply a game much better designed than Destiny.

Also, it was an exclusively single-player experience, and the entire team could devote themselves to that fact. It can not be compared in any significant way, shape, or form to Destiny, because other than being FPSs, they're not even remotely in the same genre. In W:TNO, you pressed on and persevered with the tools at your disposal, being rewarded in small ways based on your playstyle. It was linear, and progression was linear. Great game, but nothing like an MMO/RPG.

I imagine that if Destiny was a single-player experience, we'd be lauding it up and down, since the grimoire would have been implemented, and much more of the game's focus and development would be on story, cutscenes, and characters... But that's not how an MMO works. It's never been, and never will be (I mean, Elder Scrolls Online tried, and look where that got them).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread