Do we really want games to surprise us? (Gaming)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 09, 2017, 13:27 (2461 days ago) @ Korny

Gotta say I've been intrigued by this title ever since I saw the mere seconds of announcement footage. I'm glad someone out there is taking risks.

The thing is, I think this puts us right smack back in the middle of the "games as art" argument. Many folks will argue good art doesn't leave one comfortable. I happen to agree. And without having read much of the press, I expect a lot of detractors will level criticisms at tossing out established gameplay conventions. I only wish more devs would follow suit and innovate. But, y'know, everybody wants dat guaranteed AAA cashmoney.

But what the larger currents within the industry are prone to doing is just the opposite: making the player feel comfortable, yet powerful. As a number of us are aware, Bungie isn't quite in the business of innovation; moreso refinement and implementation. I'll admit the parts of D2 that I'm really excited about are all the PvE activities. I enjoyed the difference in gameplay in the new Crucible, but I don't expect it to keep traction with me the way other things have in recent months.

I do look forward to seeing Mara Sov again, though.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread