Do we really want games to surprise us? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 09, 2017, 13:48 (2461 days ago) @ Malagate

Gotta say I've been intrigued by this title ever since I saw the mere seconds of announcement footage. I'm glad someone out there is taking risks.

The thing is, I think this puts us right smack back in the middle of the "games as art" argument. Many folks will argue good art doesn't leave one comfortable. I happen to agree. And without having read much of the press, I expect a lot of detractors will level criticisms at tossing out established gameplay conventions. I only wish more devs would follow suit and innovate. But, y'know, everybody wants dat guaranteed AAA cashmoney.

But it is for more fun (for me, and I need to say that since you can't tell fact from opinion) to learn and explore new game systems. To figure them out master, then exploit them. Especially when they go beyond what you'd expect and have high levels of "multiplicative Design". Discovering, mastering, and having things click is very satisfying.

I was positively floored with the Destiny Alpha, but the Beta for Des2ny was kind of a blip. Perhaps because it really presented nothing majorly new. Nearly 100% of my skills from Destiny carried over.

Also good art can leave you both comfortable and uncomfortable. Lack of comfort is not a requirement for good art. IN MY OPINON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread