Yes. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 10, 2017, 11:07 (2460 days ago) @ Funkmon

I look up the plot only if I'm not completely sure I'll enjoy the game beforehand. I requested Halo for Christmas with my Xbox, completely sure I would enjoy it. I knew nothing other than what was in magazines and that it was made by those guys who made Marathon, which I had enjoyed at my friend's house.

Back when I was 20 years old, skydiving was something I always wanted to try. I thought that the people who could do it frequently were very lucky people, and never imagined I could do that. It seemed like such a different life, foreign to me.

I finally decided one day to give it a shot. I phoned up and booked a first jump course. The course was 4 hours Friday night, 4 hours Saturday morning, and then the first jump. Friday night I drove an hour to the dropzone. I'd never been there before. The sun was setting and it was dark and completely unfamiliar. I remember thinking it was a bad idea, that I should be on campus with my friends like on a normal Friday night. This wasn't familiar, and it wasn't ME. I don't know any of these people. What would they think of me?

The class went fine and everyone was really nice. I slept in the barn at the airport, which was again a very unfamiliar experience. Waking up and eating my Cheerios, I could barely get them in my mouth because my spoon was shaking so much. Again, I thought… I shouldn't be here. I don't know what to expect.

After that first time though… I was glad I did it. Now, 1600 jumps later I've been to many places with many people, made many new friends, and had many awesome unforgettable experiences. But that wouldn't have happened had I not made that phone call because I was worried about not enjoying it.

I moved to LA not knowing a single person. That was incredibly uncomfortable. Being downtown looking around and not having a room or a home to go back to and feel safe… well that was a weird feeling. I could have easily not taken that chance and stayed in Michigan, where it was familiar. But it paid off big time. I don't want to be anywhere else.

I wanted to write a book on Bungie. Who am I? Why would anyone talk to me? How am I to compete with all the other writers and journalists out there? What if I ask for an interview and I am rejected? I am glad I tackled that uncertainty, because I now have interviews with 30 different people to help tell the story. This story is ongoing, but it's already more than I ever imagined.

Some of the best games I ever played were complete unexpected pleasures that I normally would not have though to try. Same thing in life.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread