Do we really want games to surprise us? (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 14:48 (2447 days ago) @ General Vagueness

or maybe it's just not a very good game,

Experienced it twice, loved it twice, going to start another playthrough, and it's one of the few games that Sammy enjoys enough to play through more than once, so I'm pretty confident in saying that I feel like it's a great game.

and maybe the perma-death feature is pointless if you have two working hands,

Ultimately it isn't a real threat, but just another way that the game makes you feel uneasy. It's technically not a lie, but for those who play it on Hard difficulty, racking up deaths does get more and more stressful, especially since the infection can become visually misleading... Even knowing that the permadeath wasn't exactly what folks thought it was, I became pretty anxious near the end, despite only dying a small handful of times. It's a neat tool used very effectively by the devs.

and maybe the whole mental illness thing is shit:

Nah, the mental illness thing was used to great effect, and the context and different ways that they implemented it is shown in a documentary that comes with the game apart from the numerous ViDocs that they released over the past couple of years.

Unless you're an expert in mental health issues, it helps to actually play the game to know what you're talking about. ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread