Do we really want games to surprise us? (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 09, 2017, 14:34 (2461 days ago) @ Korny

...and from the looks of it, we're going to coast off another three years of much of the same repetitive grind that we have been for the past three years.

Stopped reading there.

You buried what looks like it might have been a great opinion piece about what gamers want and about a very interesting looking new game by starting off with dumb hyperbole. You may not be excited for Destiny 2, but others like me are. I can't speak for all of them, but you certainly put me off from caring about whatever point you were actually trying to make.

See, here's the thing, man. I'm not as excited for Destiny 2 as you are, but I'm not put off by repetitive grind (you'd think the fact that I've repeatedly leveled nearly a dozen characters in Destiny would be a pretty big clue). I've already preordered the Deluxe edition of Destiny on PS4, and I'm on the fence about getting it for Xbone as well. I look forward to the next three years, even if they really do end up being repetitive grind.

That said, I'm not going to sugarcoat what Destiny is, and what it will likely always be. I don't have blinders on, so if a game studio (or person) has something that they can be called out on, I'm going to call them out. You'd think that kind of honesty and awareness would give you reason to care about the points that I'm trying to make, but it sounds like you just want to hear from those who reaffirm your perspective/bias. And that's fine, but you won't ever learn to appreciate other perspectives if that's all you ever surround yourself with.

And I dunno, that kind of makes you exactly like the folks that I talk about in the post...

My issue is exactly what I said: You buried a good article about one game under unneeded, over the top criticism about a different game.

I'd love to hear more about Senua's Sacrifice, but not from someone who is going to waste my time by being a "prominent moron" for two paragraphs before getting to his actual point. You criticized TotalBiscuit for jumping on a game he hadn't played, but I guess it's fine when you do it? "Do as I say not as I do?"

Next time, stick to the points you actually want to make and leave off the pointless opening blather.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread