Then so shall I (Fan Creations)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 23, 2017, 18:44 (2347 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You say, in the last of these posts, that you rarely get any response, and you're not sure if that's because you haven't connected, or because nobody could get through your posts. Speaking only for myself, I'd have to say it's probably the latter. :(

Is that for all? Or just this one?

There are lots of references to things I've never seen before (or maybe things I just don't recognize) - with zero explanation. This means that I have no clue what you're getting at - because not only is the reference only relevant if you've seen the original, but you make ZERO EFFORT to explain it for people who might not understand it. (I get that you're doing this because explaining the reference sort of ruins it - but not having any clue what you're saying also ruins it.)

I understand. Can you give me some examples?

Even without the outside references, though, I was struggling. You write in a stream-of-consciousness style that almost requires that I be inside your head to be able to follow - except I'm not inside your head. You also link back to old (sometimes years-old) discussions with no summaries; if I choose not to follow a link, the point you're making is lost completely.

I can be a bit fast with the data sometimes, though I still can't crack a 128,000-bit modulating encryption key with out help. :P

The links aren't, and certainly should not be, something you are required to click to understand what I have to say. They are only intended to add. There are a few cases where I link or embed things for fun, but perhaps I should refrain from that practice, and keep it purely message based to decrease possible confusion.

All said, your observation has been noted. :)

Couple this with the font changes, the style changes, the additions of fictional styles in what was ostensibly a non-fiction discussion... I'm sorry, I simply couldn't get through it.

This is on me for presuming a given through context, instead of using a more direct approach. This is me interjecting into my own post, like commentary tracks of a DVD. This is because I knew what I was doing when I was doing it, and I had hoped to clarify and inform. I knew some the things were incomplete, and I had expected some confusion. I wasn't expecting the end result to be found unreadable though.

Even the stuff I DID get through confused me. The Harmony of Fun starts off (I think) suggesting that you were underwhelmed by the offerings in the game. You then spent a while talking about how you were wrong, and that the weapons and armor you'd dismissed were actually quite good. Then you blamed Bungie for not making this clearer. Except... in every case, I've either EXPERIENCED the synergies you talk about, or read about them from others who have. They are NOT missed by the community - they're one of the reasons people are enjoying playing the game. So I'm not really sure what your overall point is. :(

(Also, that entire section bugged me: you said, early on (second post? I can't remember) that one of the big problems you saw was that everyone was treating D2 as D1, expanded, and that was a mistake. You spend this whole section talking about how you dismissed all of these weapons (and exotic armors) as weak analogs of their D1 counterparts - which is sort of silly, since you told us that we shouldn't be doing this. I understand that you were trying to point out that you made this mistake, multiple times, and you're showing us your thought process... BUT WE ALREADY KNOW YOU FIGURED IT OUT. You didn't present this as "here's what D2 does right" - you simply made the point (again) that it's easy to overlook things if you come into it with a mindset that D2 is D1 enhanced. Which would, I guess, even be okay, if you stuck to the OTHER stuff you said in the TLDR post. Specifically: what I got out of your Harmony of Fun post is that at this point, 6 weeks after release, you're finding that almost every item you'd dismissed at launch is a boatload of fun to play with.

Things were missed. This is mainly focused on "The Harmony of Fun", so here are some points. The point is endgame related. The .gif are from a "classic" anime called "Akira". Even if you don't know a thing about it, which is fine, these are added to reinforce the tone. It's fairly obvious, I think, to what is seen. That it all involves great deals of RAW power.

First I'm noting how easy it was to come to an initial conclusion. The reason to this, I conclude from experience, is how we are coming from Destiny & the subtle nature of some of the changes. Where the fun is. That mindset we built from 3 years of a game.

Compared to Destiny 1, the Destiny 2 perks are not very exciting on the surface, and I find are far more simplistic. I note that despite this, once I got over it, and just tried it - I had fun.

I then tackle the whole power aspect. I lament deeply that even though it was alot of fun to indulge into the power fantasy aspect that Destiny 1 had, that it was limiting the fun of the game. I note how far that fun could go, and the only way to keep having fun under such a method.

The we get to the "punchline", which I note note in the "DVD Commentary style" that it should have more stuff listed, but with the little I do have, I note some of the combinations that really bring out a new style of play.

After this said, I bring home the key point with a quote.

" Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.

Q: ...For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.
"

That is, or should be the endgame! Figuring out new ways to play and have fun. Not grinding for kit through RNG. Not Shaders or Emblems. Gameplay. Gameplay should be the endgame. That is my plea.

That's the point. I'll even add something extra that I don't mention. Be this obvious or not, I found this point to be underrepresented. People are finding these "synergies" but it seems to be that these things are an afterthought, when such should be, I feel, the main thing. It should be as big of a deal as RNG for Destiny 1. Ergo; The Harmony of Fun.

But one of your first points in the TLDR post was that Destiny was 'just good' - the dissonance hurt my head. The new gameplay, when looked at for itself (instead of as an extension of the old game) is deep and complex, with pieces working together to make super-cool new pieces... but the overall is... eh? Follow up. Explain WHY your trees post doesn't jibe with your forest post. What's missing? What would have made it better than 'just good'? )

There is more weight being put on this then I intended, though it is valid. I'm not arguing for good or bad. That is not my focus, as such things are very subjective. Though out my text, I note my frustrations, and I note that I have had fun.

Perhaps that is why it is only good. I have had a balanced amount of frustrations and fun. Still, for me an improvement over Destiny 1 all the same.

I'm sorry. I make a serious effort here to critique on substance, rather than style; everyone has a different way of communicating. In this particular case, though, I just couldn't get all the way through the substance - the style got in the way too much.

Again: I'm speaking for me, alone. I have no clue how others view your content, and I know that there are some great ideas in here that could generate some really interesting discussion... but they're buried too deeply for me. I don't have an hour+ for each post (even if it's broken into a bunch of smaller posts).

As I say in my thanks, I debated with my self if I should even put this out at all. I did expect some amount of ... being unintelligible in parts for some, and I had hoped the formatting would soften the edge. It seems for you it did the complete opposite, and overwhelmed and confused. I certainly did not expect anyone to find my text to be wholly unintelligible, or else I wouldn't have posted this at all. It's not my want to fluster or frustrate anyone.

I guess I'll end this with another thank you for your input, and again, I apologize for posting something so inadequate that it is to be unreadable for you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread