Post Size (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 11:46 (2369 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Use the fewest number of words possible that still get across what you want to say.

This depends highly on the medium and genre of the writing. At work, and in academics, absolutely. In art, mostly but occasionally maybe? It's always a good process to edit and reduce, but sometimes it's good to leave things rough around the edges or elaborated upon. Brian Eno (music producer) is famous for churning out rough cuts as finished products and some of them are brilliant to my ear. Some producers would have locked in on "the hooks" or removed the wandering parts. Over time, some of the wanderings have become my favorites excerpts. All that to say, I don't think it's an absolute rule, but it is a good rule.

Note the last part of the sentence.

Sometimes more words or rougher prose does get your intent across better. It is relative.

I could cut any movie down to 20 minutes and hit all the plot points. But who would watch that?!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread