Then so shall I (Fan Creations)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, October 23, 2017, 20:20 (2370 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You say, in the last of these posts, that you rarely get any response, and you're not sure if that's because you haven't connected, or because nobody could get through your posts. Speaking only for myself, I'd have to say it's probably the latter. :(

Is that for all? Or just this one?

I was speaking about this one.

There are lots of references to things I've never seen before (or maybe things I just don't recognize) - with zero explanation. This means that I have no clue what you're getting at - because not only is the reference only relevant if you've seen the original, but you make ZERO EFFORT to explain it for people who might not understand it. (I get that you're doing this because explaining the reference sort of ruins it - but not having any clue what you're saying also ruins it.)

I understand. Can you give me some examples?

The quote you used below is a great example. I have no clue where it's from, and on its surface, it doesn't really apply to the argument you were making (even with your explanation here, I have trouble seeing the connection). And even here, where you're actually trying to address my complaint, you continue to use unattributed references in ways that are not immediately obvious.

Look - I'm really not trying to say that you can't communicate the way you want to communicate. I'm trying to say that if you choose to communicate this way, the only people who will interact with you are people who either get your references, or don't care that they don't. I don't fall into either group. :(

Even without the outside references, though, I was struggling. You write in a stream-of-consciousness style that almost requires that I be inside your head to be able to follow - except I'm not inside your head. You also link back to old (sometimes years-old) discussions with no summaries; if I choose not to follow a link, the point you're making is lost completely.

I can be a bit fast with the data sometimes, though I still can't crack a 128,000-bit modulating encryption key with out help. :P

Yeah, that one I got. But it still feels like a majority of your points are being made without actually TALKING to us - it's like I'm having a meme conversation, except with pre-memes.

I don't like those.

Couple this with the font changes, the style changes, the additions of fictional styles in what was ostensibly a non-fiction discussion... I'm sorry, I simply couldn't get through it.

This is on me for presuming a given through context, instead of using a more direct approach. This is me interjecting into my own post, like commentary tracks of a DVD. This is because I knew what I was doing when I was doing it, and I had hoped to clarify and inform. I knew some the things were incomplete, and I had expected some confusion. I wasn't expecting the end result to be found unreadable though.

A prime example (for me) was the conversation with yourself in the Glory Organization post. I understand you were using different colors to denote different... 'voices'. But the end result (for me) was a completely unreadable (well, unscannable) mishmash. I CANNOT process text that comes in that many colors. (Okay, that's not true. I don't want to. It's too much work, and there's really no payoff.)

So I skipped it. But I'd have read it if you'd, say, put each voice on its own line. With all in a standard color (black works nicely :) ).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread