So... you're just trolling me, right? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 16:02 (2467 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Being of an inappropriate level, either too high or lower, can be a detriment to gaming experiences. Requiring grinding out levels to catch up (common in JRPGs) and having far exceeded the capabilities of your enemies through basic core gameplay loops (more common Western and Turn-Based RPGs) are not encouraging game design.

Yes, understood. My thesis here is that having character and enemy levels allows players to find their own level of comfortable difficulty by either playing underleveled (harder) or overleveled (easier). Raga's argument appears to be that he hates games that are hard due to him being underleveled and hates games that are easy due to him being overleveled, neither of which are problems with relative leveling existing, but seem to be more specifically flaws with how those exact games were balanced vs. Raga's chosen playstyles within them.

So maybe JRPGs require a degree of grinding in order to stay even leveled with enemies. That doesn't prevent him from doing grinding to make the boss fights easier. Maybe Skyrim gives you so much experience for side missions that you easily outlevel the main story content. That doesn't prevent you from rushing through the main story to get a harder experience. And vice versa.

Further, neither of the examples Raga listed has anything to do with the fact that Destiny has character levels and enemy levels but utilizes neither for balancing the difficulty of the game, nor does destiny have selectable difficulties (unless you count heroic/non heroic strikes, which I don't, or count prestige/non prestige, which I do count, but which only apply to very limited activities, and neither of which provide "easymode" for people who want a more casual play).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread