I disagree with most of this on a base level. (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 16:55 (2364 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I feel sorry for you that something unrelated to an activity you are partaking in ruins the potential enjoyment of that activity. That really does sound like it would suck.

D1’s PvP engame wasn’t interesting due to any level mechanics, though. At a high level there wasn’t sufficient power variance to matter. And while I will give you that even my friend group has dropped off that aspect in D2, but that’s due to trash loot rather than anything else, design-wise, as in general Survival/Countdown are regarded much higher than Elimination from folks I have asked.

And why have levels in a loot based game? Loot Tables? Easier to have a level assigned to an adversary than to hand crafter individual loot tables for every enemy. I mean, why not let level 1 Dregs have the same chance to drop an exotic as an Ultra you get stomped by until you can equip powerful enough gear? Just as a root example common to most loot-based games. There are a lot of reasons to include levels outside of forcing a certain challenge level on specific enemies. Player level gives way to power level once you hit 20 and there are other systems and activities sequentially unlocked theough progression.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread