From the Update | I Feel the NEED... (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, February 02, 2018, 05:09 (2273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I do get the appeal of supers in PvP. I just think it’s tough to create supers in a game like Destiny that fulfil the PvE Power fantasy without totally disrupting the flow of PvP. Supers in the crucible are basically “win” bottons. It’s almost impossible to screw them up. When a player pops their super, the onus isn’t on them to execute skillfully, it’s on the other team to be coordinated AF to take down the incoming super.

I mentioned Titanfall 2 because I think they hit the nail on the head with their approach to “Supers”. The Titan Core moves are powerful, but they have more specific and strategic uses, can be more easily avoided or countered, and they have inherent risks involved because of how they lock the Titan into specific animations or movements that are predictable. Because the supers take more skill to use effectively, it feels WAY more satisfying when you pull off something cool. Meanwhile in Destiny, if I pop a super and kill fewer than 3 opponents with it, it’s bevause I seriously messed up. There’s nothing rewarding about a successful super because they’re basically automatic kills.

What would be great would be if the class abilities worked in such a way that they were particularly effective at countering supers.

You're playing a different game than I am. I rarely, these days, get 3 kills with a super. (It was much more common in D1.) I rarely see my opponents get 3 kills with a super.

This entire post seems like gross hyperbole to me. (I'm not saying it is - i'm saying you're playing a different game than I am, and with different opponents and teammates.)

Agreed. The only supers I see get 3 kills (more or less consistently) are Striker and Golden Gun. And I’m pretty sure Stiker is just because they basically don’t have an activation animation in which they are vulnerable. But yeah, a good team should hear/see a Super, spread out and team shoot.

On the opposite side, when your teammate activates their Super, you should become a distraction, preventing the enemy from team shooting your Supered teammate

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread