I clearly owe an apology (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 02, 2018, 12:12 (2273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So I've obviously managed to come off as dismissive or condescending, and I'm sorry about that. It was absolutely not my intention.

I don't want to drag this particular thread out more than is necessary, but I do feel like I should clarify a few of my points, just because I've so obviously failed to state them in a way that matches my intention.

First of all, regarding any statements I've made that are coming off as hyperbolic.

When I say things like, "supers are basically a win button" or "you just need to be facing vaguely in the right direction", I am trying to accurately describe my general experience of using supers (or going up against them) in Destiny. Those statements certainly don't apply to every super ability equally, nor do they apply to every single situational use of a super equally. But in my mind, when I think about the thousands of hours I've spent playing this game, the most common interactions with supers that rise to the top of my memory fit the descriptions as I wrote them. I ambush a guy, he turns around and Fist-of-Panics me. I catch a warlock floating around a corner, he Nova Bombs me in the face from point plank range and we both die. I respawn just in time to see a hammer titan or a stormcaller running straight at me, and they crush me before I have time to move more than a couple steps. And all these examples, I've been on the delivering side just as often.

These scenarios are obviously not the only encounters with supers in the game. But my impression, as anecdotal and unreliable as it may be, is that those are the most common interactions with supers that I have in the game. And I genuinely believe it is fair to say that those sorts of actions are not particularly demanding or skillful. They literally are just pointing in the right general direction and pressing a button. I know some supers are a little more simplistic to use than others, but I play as a Titan. So that's the point of reference that I have to work with.
At the same time, I hear you say that I'm sounding demeaning or insulting towards players who don't always manage to use supers effectively and I feel terrible about that (on that note, I should also stress that I never said that I always use them effectively either... I said "if I get fewer than 3 kills, I feel like I've screwed up". And that happens all the time).

What I was trying to explain from the start is that IMO, Supers in Destiny take way more skill to counter than they do to use, and that I personally find the balance too far in that direction for my preferences. I never meant to make anyone feel like I was degrading their abilities or anything like that. So I apologize for failing to make that clear. Hopefully this makes a bit more sense.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread