From the Update | I Feel the NEED... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 02, 2018, 10:36 (2246 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, February 02, 2018, 10:39

I still think Year 1 Trials of Osiris was the place where Destiny supers really clicked in a great way. The nature of the elimination gametype motivated players to be less reckless with their supers, and hold them for moments when they could really make a key difference. It turned super usage into a sort of poker game. The matches were long enough that players would often get 2 or even 3 supers per game, but there was never that snowballing, runaway super-train scenario that plagued the 6v6 playlists. And what was so cool about it is that the supers themselves didn't change at all... the way people used them changed because the stakes were different. The risks involved were greater. In a control game, you can use a nova bomb to kill 1 player, get yourself killed due to being out of position, and its no big deal. But in trials, wasting a super like that could cost your team the match.

Oh man... I can't even begin to explain how much I miss D1 Trials of Osiris. Everything about it felt strategic, tense, exhilarating, full of tactical teamwork. I have a hard time explaining why, but D2 Trials of the Nine just feels different and 100% less fun.

Probably because you COULD pull off great plays and turn a match around. So the momentum of lots of games was constantly shifting.

I just think that a single player can't do that anymore. It's either one team played well and wins or they don't. It's not one team did poorly but the one guy did some amazing things which meant he won the 1v3 or something. It's harder to make individual amazing plays basically. You make amazing comebacks as a team or not at all.

Faster TTK allows for more deviation and variations. The slower the TTK, the more the skill gap settles into place.

Like, if in a fast TTK game you catch someone off guard, you can probably kill them even if they are better than you. But in a slow TTK game, where say, it takes 100 shots to kill (extreme example), you might get two shots off in the ambush, but if they are better than you by shot 20 they’ll have caught up.

Slower TTK levels everything out more, punishes mistakes less, and makes a turnaround less likely.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread