ViDoc - The Road Ahead (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 09:42 (1937 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It is also unfair and cynical to act like the people talking aren’t genuinely excited about what they are doing. Even if it isn’t a deep dive behind the scenes, it isn’t like they’re reading cue cards covered in bullet points.

My sweet Summer child...

In this eight minute video, the Annual Pass is directly mentioned or shown on screen eleven times, and by almost every pair of people shown (having different people pitch an idea at you is level 1 advertising).

Bungie made sure to hire a good video director, who had the pairs occasionally talking at each other (as if one of them wouldn't be aware of the thing their department has been working on for months), so it wasn't coming off as them just hyping a product at you, the viewer, but at each other, making them excited about the product they're selling you. Level 2 advertising!

Sure, this video isn't as bad as the ones that came before it, but they are very much reading bullet points and buzzwords. Directly mentioning things that Reddit has targeted their way (I especially like the moment where Steve Cotton specifically references the "Take risks, even if they don't land!" issue, before immediately saying "The Forsaken™ Annual Pass is about continuing...")

I'm not saying any of them was at gunpoint blinking morse code at the camera, of course they enjoy their job, or they wouldn't be there. But the careful marketing is obvious.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread