Halo Episode 1 (Spoilers) (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 25, 2022, 09:56 (761 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, March 25, 2022, 10:00

You expect every show to tell you the entirety of everyone's motivation up front every time? I think ever since Lost no big show has ever done it.

Not necessarily. But when characters make decisions, we as the audience should understand why. If they are going to change, we should see them change. Otherwise, there really isn't much emotional continuity and they are essentially acting randomly.

You can hide whatever you want, but you always have to ask yourself if hiding is more cathartic than not hiding. For a Spartan who is seen as super by the book, to change and disobey orders… well there should be something leading up to so we understand why that change occurs. Then when it happens… catharsis.

It's not the wrong choice having him do what he did, but it felt too early and not earned yet.

Lost is also the poster child for the dangers of mystery box storytelling. Clear emotions and emotional stakes trump mystery box every time.

Also, I'm almost positive the show runners wanted the naïve audience to consider the Elites were Spartans up until they breach the wall.

I hadn't considered that, because the glimpses of them prior were very clearly elites and they showed the ship. But for someone who is not familiar with Halo, perhaps! But then they'd be lost elsewhere…

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread