Forward Unto Dawn (Fan Creations)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 02, 2022, 21:51 (753 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I rewatched Forward Unto Dawn tonight. I think it’s actually really good. Obviously much smaller scale, but I think they made smart decisions for filming (like setting it at night, obviously).

I find myself wishing the new series had taken a similar track. Hiding iffy CGI is much harder when you set your scene in the midday sun in the middle of the desert. If you’re going to try to show off like that, you better be goddamn sure you nailed it. That’s what worries me—it seems like they just didn’t completely make smart decisions (or were perhaps overconfident in their budget and abilities to actually pull it off). The second episode did pull it off much better, in my opinion. The dusty, grimy interiors of the Tangled Shore were plenty convincing, but that’s helped by not having a bunch of Elites disintegrating people in any of the shots. I’ll be curious to see how they handle the Covenant moving forward. Even with Hollywood budget and CG, I’m not sure the Covenant could be convincingly realized in the same way that Star Wars aliens are. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread