I liked it. (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 27, 2022, 13:14 (760 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Sunday, March 27, 2022, 13:20

I've forgotten a lot of Halo lore at this point, so maybe that helped. I was always pretty flexible, though.. I thought the first game had a good story, but the real draw was the gameplay, the environments, and the supersoldier fantasy you got to step into. Halo 2 tried to do too much story-wise, and Halo 3 and ODST was when the storytelling began to hit on all cylinders. Reach is my favorite and part of what i liked was the tonal shift. Reach is the most mature Halo game, and it would've been even better if they'd had to space to deepen all the relationships within that squad. (The greatest irony to me is that I think a novelization of the Reach game would have been better than The Fall of Reach novel was. Canon, Schmanon.)

The TV show feels continuous with Reach. I was never confused. I thought we were told enough to know the people and care about them. The violence was real and brutal. I love that John is already unmasked and off the reservation, and that no one is completely trusted, save the daughter. I feel like they're taking the raw materials of the Halo universe and seeing what interesting things they can make of it, which is a reasonable approach in a new medium. Better than walking on eggshells to please the lore keepers.I'm hopeful for what comes next.

Cody, i agree with you about the gun problem. That struck me, too. This is one part where attention to the games would've helped, because it's not like figuring out when and how to use which gun isn't part of Halo, and as you illustrated, they could've come up with scenario that served the drama with ease. At the end of the day, though, and maybe this is just low expectations, I think it has the potential to be a good action drama.

Kermit

P.S. i left the 343 games out of the storytelling bit because they lost me, frankly. I haven't finished Halo infinity, which has the potential to bring e back.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread