Once again, Mr. Miller has it backwards

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 10:31 (3993 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm going to focus on your main reason for opposing player rewards (and by extension player penalties ), which is that focusing on the future somehow diminishes the experience in the now. RPGs are the most common example of this, they focus nearly entirely on the future, but I think strategy games are a better example. The quote above is Sid Meier's, of Civilization fame. Focusing on the future, and using player investment as a mechanism is when way to drive interesting choices in the now.

You are not interpreting my point correctly. The moment to moment enjoyment of the game OF COURSE INCLUDES DECISIONS ABOUT THE FUTURE, such as strategic choices, or planning for future encounters. In your example of a turn based strategy game, yes you have to be thinking ahead, BUT THAT MANIFESTS ITSELF AS DECISIONS YOU MAKE IN THE MOMENT OT MOMENT PLAY, which are themselves enjoyable.

You are also wrong in thinking that opposing rewards means opposing penalties.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread